Summer Garden

Summer Garden
Bountiful summer garden

Jan 5, 2015

Tooth Powder

As part of my quest to remove as many chemicals as possible from my grooming routine and my home, I decided to find an alternative to toothpaste.  



Tooth powder, the finished product.

Toothpaste contains a number of chemicals, some benign and others moderately hazardous according to the Environment Working Group.  Here is the report on the toothpaste I used before I discovered tooth powder.


Click Read More to see the complete post.




Since most of us use toothpaste at least two times a day, it makes sense to find an alternative means of keeping our teeth clean without compromising our health.  So I put away my Sensodyne and opened a tube of Toms of Maine toothpaste.  The toothpaste seemed to do the job, but after a few months I noticed that several of my teeth were becoming sensitive to cold again.


Then I tried a tooth powder recipe that contains bentonite clay, baking soda, sea salt and powdered herbs including, cloves, mint and horsetail.  To my surprise (and delight) the sensitivity went away.  And now after using this tooth powder exclusively for three years, my teeth and gums have never felt better.







Ingredients from the kitchen cupboard, along with the summer harvest of mint and horsetail herb.


Each of the ingredients in this recipe has a role in enhancing health;


  • The clay, sea salt and horsetail herb are filled with minerals.  I have theorized that the minerals in these ingredients are filling the tiny holes that are exposed in the areas where my protective enamel has worn away. Once the holes are filled, variations in temperature and exposure to air no longer causes pain.

  • Baking soda whitens teeth, removes plaque, and fights bad breath.

  • Horsetail or shave grass grows wild and is easy to harvest in the early summer, dry, and powder in a high power blender such as a Vitamix. Horsetail is the main ingredient in some natural toothpastes.


Horsetail herb powdered in the Vitamix blender.



  • Horsetail is high in calcium and silica.  The silica gently polishes the teeth, removing plaque, and leaving them feeling smooth and clean.  Horsetail herb is used by herbalist such as Rosemary Gladstar in tea recipes that provide more calcium than milk!  Hair and nails are also replenished by this versatile and abundant herb.



Horsetail herb growing in my back yard.



  • Clove powder along with the sea salt disinfects the mouth and keeps it healthy.  Cloves have a long history of use for mouth and tooth pain.

  • Powdered mint is refreshing and can be grown as a perennial in our cold Minnesotan climate.  I grow Mountain mint as it does not spread by underground runners, making it easier to control than most mint varieties. Mountain mint has a history of use for mouth sores and gum disease according to this website.


My husband was a bit skeptical about my newest "experiment" but after running out of Crest, he gave it a try and actually loved it.


It may take a bit to get used to the texture and color, but after you are "over the foam" the experience is very nice.  I especially like that I can eat or drink after brushing my teeth without getting a bad taste in my mouth.


If you think you might be ready to take the leap to a more natural and safe toothpaste check out the recipe below;





A variety of colors and flavors are in the list of ingredients.



Tooth Powder



4 TBS bentonite clay


2 tsp baking soda


1 1/2 tsp sea salt


1 1/2 tsp clove powder


1 1/2 tsp horsetail herb powdered


1 1/2 tsp mint leaves powdered


1/8 tsp stevia extract (optional)

Mix together and store in a closed jar.  To use, just dip a damp toothbrush into the powder, brush as usual (spit) and rinse.






Store your extra tooth powder in a sealed jar.

Tips;



  • It is very important that the herbs are finely powdered.  Your smile will not look so great if something green is stuck in between your teeth!  I have found the most effective way to powder herbs is to use a Vitamix blender.
  • Place the completely dried herbs in the dry blend container and blend to a very fine powder.  Try blending about a pint of dried whole herbs so you have extra on hand for your next batch.  
  • Most sea salt is large enough to benefit from blending as well.  If you don't blend the sea salt be sure to shake the tooth powder mix occasionally as the bigger granules tend to settle on the bottom of the jar.
  • Buy powdered cloves to save time and effort.
  • For variety you can add 1 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon to the mix to create a new flavor.
  • Tooth powder is great for traveling.  You can also keep a small tin at work for a mid day brush.
  • Stevia extract or powdered whole herb can be added for sweetness.
  • Mountain Rose Herbs has bentonite clay and powdered cloves, horsetail, and stevia if you prefer to purchase the ingredients.  (I haven't found a source for powdered mint.)
Give this tooth powder a try and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are welcome!